Weekly Updates for Ohio's Travel Economy, June 19
OHIO PUBLIC HEALTH ORDERS FOR COUNTY FAIRS RELEASED
Signed by the interim director of the Ohio Public Health, a new public health order with information related to county fairs was released this week.
THE APPEAL OF KNOWN TRAVEL EXPERIENCES, WHY SHOWING SOCIAL DISTANCING IMAGES IS IMPORTANT AND MORE FROM LATEST AMERICAN TRAVELER SURVEY
Below are highlights of a study of American travelers fielded June 12-14 by Destination Analysts:
- 70% of Americans say they still intended to take at least one leisure trip this year
- Even so, 4 in 10 Americans lack confidence that they can travel safely in the current environment
- Those surveyed say they will avoid crowded destinations (53%), areas hardest hit by the coronavirus (48%), attending conferences (46%), places with sanitary issues (44%), and destinations slow to social distance (26%).
- Nearly 40% find destinations they’ve been before appealing versus 17% indicating an interest in exploring someplace new
- 61% say they would be less interested in a destination if media coverage showed crowds and people not maintaining appropriate distance from one another
CDC RELEASES CONSIDERATIONS FOR EVENTS AND GATHERINGS
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has released guidelines for events and large gatherings to provide additional resources as you prepare plans for festivals, events, conferences, etc. Currently, the state is requesting that events wishing to reopen prepare plans and submit to the Governor's Office. OTA has requested additional guidance regarding this request, including the ability of smaller gatherings to work with local health departments for approval.
Q&A DURING GOVERNOR'S PRESS CONFERENCE: WILL THE CANTON PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME BE ABLE TO PROCEED IN AUGUST WITH INDUCTION CEREMONY AND PRE-SEASON GAME WITH TENS OF THOUSANDS OF FANS?
Governor DeWine answered that it is highly unlikely to proceed with a crowd that size but they will reevaluate when the time comes. Lt. Governor Husted said that their office is in regular conversation with the Canton Pro Football Hall of Fame on alternative ways to be successful during that event.
ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE FOR MUSEUMS ISSUED FROM TASKFORCE CREATED BY OHIO CITIZENS FOR THE ARTS
Additional guidance for museums has been shared by the Ohio Citizens for the Arts to provide assistance to museums. As a reminder, additional guidance for museums is also available from the Ohio Museums Association. Museums must follow the guidelines put forth by the governor in Consumer, Retail, Services and Entertainment Guidelines.