Director of Guest Experience
Greater Cleveland Aquarium
Job Type: Full Time Salary Exempt with benefits package. Salary is commensurate to experience and qualifications.
To Apply: The Greater Cleveland Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer. To be considered for this position, please submit resume and cover letter to Stephanie White, General Manager, at email@example.com.
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Reports to: General Manager
General Summary of Job Duties:
The Director of Guest Experience at the Greater Cleveland Aquarium is responsible for the daily oversight of visitor-facing operations, ensuring the highest standards of customer service. Closely collaborating cross-departmentally to ensure an enjoyable experience for all guests while maximizing the sales potential.
Principle Responsibilities and Duties:
• Ensure a high quality of service and a high level of guest satisfaction through oversight of all aspects of the guest experience.
• Oversee ticket and membership sales in-person and online.
• Maintain an efficient and secure system for the point-of-sale including cash drawers, vaults and credit card services. Fulfill all financial reconciliations.
• Lead guest experience team by example to ensure a positive Aquarium experience that encourages repeat visitation.
• Oversee responsibilities and workflow of the Guest Experience Associates.
• Participate in the hiring, training, supervision and retention of Guest Experience Associates.
• Supervise the Office Assistants and oversee the operation of the reception desk.
• Ensure that guest’s needs, inquires or incidents are addressed appropriately in a timely manner and handle difficult guest issues.
• Create staffing schedules with appropriate coverage for daily hours and events.
• Develop a high proficiency and robust knowledge of the reservation software, serving as a system administrator.
• Maintain the reservation software for point-of-sale, back office, e-commerce and reporting database for daily tickets, memberships, programs and events.
• Maintain point-of-sale hardware, troubleshooting with IT to correct errors.
• Develop relationships with guests and members, attracting new, retaining current and re-engaging with lapsed.
• Collaborate with Marketing for membership sales strategies, communications (collateral and emails), benefits and engagement.
• Assist with the logistics of member events, special events and programs.
• Collaborate with Education and Interpretation to ensure information about the Aquarium, exhibits, and programs is shared effectively with guests.
• Work with Operations to facilitate crowd control during busy hours and to ensure safety, cleanliness and accessibility of public areas.
• Track, analyze and report visitor data on a monthly basis.
• Identify and measure key performance indicators to drive guest satisfaction.
• Assist with planning and reviewing annual admission and membership revenue.
• Develop annual departmental budget.
• Continually improve the guest experience by evaluating and effectively enhancing guest service systems and procedures.
Job Experience and Education:
• Minimum of 5 years of experience in customer service and operations, preferably in an attraction setting
• Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in management capacity
• Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) in hospitality, business, travel and tourism, arts and culture, or closely related field
Skills and Other Requirements:
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, evenings, holidays and in critical situations as required
• Strong knowledge of visitor service principles, practices, procedures and attraction audiences
• Exceptional customer service skills
• Effective oral and written communication skills with the ability to relate to diverse audience (age, abilities, culture, etc.)
• Excellent organizational abilities, analytical skills and attention to details
• Ability to deal with a wide variety of situations and maintain poise under pressure
• Excellent judgment and discretion in handling confidential and sensitive situations and matters
• Excellent interpersonal and management skills, combined with a team player approach including a demonstrated ability to collaborate
• Proficiency in computers, data management and point-of-sale systems
• Proficiency with MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams)
• Experience with electronic devices including: credit card pin pads, printers and telephone systems
• Experience in web-based applications