Kingwood Center Gardens
Kingwood Center Gardens
Gardener – Horticulture Department
Position Type: Hourly, full time, 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM Monday-Friday (some weekend and evening hours WILL be required)
About Kingwood Center Gardens: Built in 1926, Kingwood Center is the 47 acre historic estate of
Charley Kelly King in Mansfield, Ohio. Following Mr. King’s death in 1952, the estate was opened as a
public garden in 1953. Kingwood Center is a cultural and educational center with a mission to create
exemplary gardens for enjoyment, education, and inspiration.
Description: This position reports directly to the Head Gardener. The Gardener is responsible for all
routine and skilled garden maintenance tasks in their assigned area. In addition, the Gardener will be
called on to share their gardening knowledge in a variety of ways, including writing, making
presentations, leading workshops, and contributing to plant talks. The Gardener will also work as
deemed necessary with other staff on projects outside the areas specifically assigned to them in a
manner that meets the needs of Kingwood Center.
- Carry out typical garden tasks such as planting, watering, weeding, pruning, deadheading, and mulching.
- Design and implement annual displays, demonstrating initiative in permanent plant selection and acquisition.
- Constantly evaluate assigned area for means of improvement.
- Operate necessary equipment, such as blowers, tillers, and utility vehicles.
- Utilize garden tools and perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Regularly lift 35 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Bend or stoop for extended periods of time
- Rapidly perform required tasks with accuracy.
- Work independently while being productive and making efficient use of time.
- Communicate garden knowledge through writing, making presentations, leading workshops, and contributing to plant talks.
- Monitor for and control insect and disease issues using IPM best practices.
- Always work with gardening safety and best practices in mind.
- Continue to build and advance personal gardening knowledge.
- Willingness to interact with the public in an informal way answering general questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Formal education in horticulture strongly preferred, but not required.
- One year of horticulture, gardening, or other related experience preferred.
- Other combinations of education and experience appropriate to the job will be considered.
- Advanced knowledge of plants, gardens, and gardening practices.
- Ohio Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s License or the ability to obtain one within one year of hire.
- Sufficiently physically fit to perform required tasks.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Positive attitude to foster a productive and welcoming environment for staff and guests.
- Ability to see small details.
Email cover letter, resume, and references to Willie Hofstetter, Head Gardener