Tourism Sales Manager
Title: Tourism Sales Manager
Reports to: Director, Tourism Sales
Primarily promote and sell Columbus as a leisure destination for group tours to group leaders, family and Military reunion planners, bank travel clubs and affinity groups.
- Achieve annual room night and sales lead quotas:
- Sell Columbus to assigned market segments through direct sales, telemarketing and other sales efforts
- Implement ongoing strategic prospecting that includes identifying, prioritizing and working the targeted prospect lists
- Make presentations, attend travel trade shows and conduct sales calls in order to secure leads and/or book business
- Develop product and itineraries targeted for assigned market segments
- Develop experiential product with new and existing partners
- Plan, coordinate and conduct site inspections and familiarization tours for assigned market segments
- Assist in identifying special interest publications to reach assigned market segments
- Dual - Manage the Leisure Group Network, its activities and budget:
- Work with members to educate and sell Columbus to assigned market segments
- Generate and issue sales leads to Experience Columbus members and members of the Leisure Group Network
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of this program and make adjustments accordingly
- Manage the Columbus Group Tour Co-op and its sales and marketing activities and budget:
- Work with the Co-op to develop the annual sales and marketing plan within the co-ops budget.
- Research and register for trade shows, schedule, and educate exhibitors, produce the co-op brochure, and follow up on appropriate trade show leads.
- Generate and issue sales leads to Experience Columbus members and members of the Columbus Group Tour Council Co-op.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the effectiveness of this program and make adjustments accordingly.
- Plan, execute, and host annual Reunion Planning Seminar:
- Work with Events Department liaison to book a venue for the event
- Sell tradeshow booth space
- Promote seminar to current/potential clients
- Create topics of discussion and schedule guest speakers for the event
- Facilitate the seminar
- Support tourism marketing effort:
- Stay current on market trends, community developments and use of social media as it relates to assigned markets
- Provide recommendations for advertising and public relations to the group tour market, the development of the group tour section of the Experience Columbus Web site and the content for the Tour Planner Guide and Touring Columbus publications
- Represent Experience Columbus:
- Serve as a liaison with the local, state, regional and national group tour industry
- Develop and maintain existing relationships with industry organizations
- Represent the tourism department at various Bureau departmental programs, Board committee meetings, events and speaking engagements
- Attend Experience Columbus and community functions when available
- Maintain, develop and utilize the sales database for assigned market segments in a timely, thorough manner
- Develop the project budgets for assigned market segment and manage budgets
Education and Experience:
- A four year degree from an accredited college or university is preferred
- 3 years of experience in sales account management and prospecting preferred
- The organization requires all employees to obtain and maintain their Certified Tourism Ambassador™ (CTA) designation.
Competencies and Skills:
- Willingness to travel, attend local, regional, national events on evenings and/or weekends
- Exceptional customer service and sales skills and proven relationship building skills
- Track record of exceeding expectations and achieving goals and quotas
- Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to successfully multi-task
- Goal oriented individual with the ability to take initiative, work independently and be held accountable for his/her actions
- Demonstrated written and oral presentation skills