Director of Sales & Services
Dayton Convention and Visitors Bureau
The Director of Sales & Services will hire, train, provide leadership, supervise, and direct the sales and services efforts of all Sales Managers and the Convention Services Manager in conducting the following:
- Actively promote the use of the Dayton/Montgomery County area as a convention, meeting, seminar, trade show, sports and motorcoach destination through personal contact, telephone calls, direct mail, sales blitzes, and industry trade shows.
- Inform organization/association executives of the type and extent of service provided by the convention and visitors bureau staff.
- Identify, recruit and encourage local people affiliated with various regional, national, and international organizations to hold future meetings in the Montgomery County area.
- Develop, coordinate and implement strategies leading to the preparation and presentation of convention/meeting bid proposals to ensure future bookings.
- Invite key decision makers to Dayton for site visits and familiarization tours and in conjunction with pertinent staff members, implement same.
- Maintain a working knowledge of Dayton area hotel/motel/meeting facilities/venues and maintain close contacts with their sales personnel for exchanging information and ideas.
- Maintain familiarity with competing areas or issues that impact on the Bureau’s ability to promote Dayton.
- Represent the Bureau at selected and targeted industry meetings and trade shows and follow-up on leads generated at these functions within 30 days with leads ranked.
- Serve on industry boards and committees as requested to gain exposure within the industry.
- Manage and ensure proper usage of the Bureau’s database management software (simpleview).
- Read, approve and sign all RFPs prior to their release and read, approve and sign all bookings.
- Monitor the individual file load/account base of sales managers to maintain an equal distribution of accounts in terms of size and booking potential.
- Review any old files prior to their being destroyed.
- In conjunction with Director of Marketing and Communications, produce annual marketing plan and work plan for Dayton/Montgomery County Convention and Visitors Bureau outlining specifics sales and marketing objectives and priorities for participation in tradeshows, FAMs, etc.
- Approve all Sales and Convention Services Managers requests for vacation, personal leave and sick leave.
- Process all personnel reviews for Sales and Convention Services Managers.
- Conduct weekly sales/services staff meetings to monitor departmental activity and performance to assure consistency with the sales plan and objectives. Submit recap weekly to President & CEO.
- Establish specific goals and track performance. Meet monthly (at minimum) with staff on an individual basis assessing achievement of their goals.
- Monitor the preparation and follow-up action and assess the effectiveness of all sales/services programs, including individual sales trips, staff attendance at industry meetings/trade shows, FAMs, sales blitzes, etc. and recommend follow-up action to President & CEO.
- Spearhead Bureau’s monthly meeting with the county’s hotels/motels.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports on sales/services activity and performance. Insure their timely submission.
- Promote Dayton/Montgomery County as a convention/trade show destination to assigned Director of Sales & Services accounts.
- College undergraduate degree or equivalent experience in area related to sales with hospitality sales emphasis.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner; develop and implement comprehensive sales programs; motivate a staff of varying skills and personalities; and organize annual sales effort.
Industry Associations and Organizations
- Maintains memberships and actively participates in meetings, conferences and trade shows related to position.
- In conjunction with Director of Marketing and Communications, responsible for development and monitoring of all sales markets. Progress/success based on specific goals determined on an annual basis.
- Participate in annual budget process and daily management of Sales & Services budget.
- Responsible for complete planning, execution and follow-up of certain projects as assigned by the President & CEO including but not limited to the timely completion of monthly, quarterly and annual sales reports.
- Cooperate in following policies and procedures necessary in order to maintain sound fiscal controls including but not limited to the timely and accurate submission of expense reports by sales staff.
Other Relevant Aspects of Position
- Requires overtime and varied hours and travel for meetings, trade shows, etc. Weekend work and irregular hours may be required. Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to travel by air, drive a vehicle and maintain a valid driver’s license throughout employment.